Sunday, October 24, 2010

Half Marathon, Plus.

I am so proud of my wife! She ran a half marathon yesterday, but this wasn't JUST a half marathon...

I got Friday afternoon off of work so we could all head to Hermiston, OR to pick up Cynthia's race packet before the 5 pm deadline. The trip was uneventful and blazingly fast (85ish MPH). Upon reaching Hermiston, I pulled out the directions to get to the conference center. Long story short, I was so focused on the directions that I didn't see the speed limit of 25 in an area (right by a high school) that really should have been 35. Ergo, I got a ticket for going 40 in a 25. That's my first ticket in 14 years. $190.

Eventually we got the packet and traveled 30 mins to Kennewick were we were staying with the Jakemans. Thanks again, guys. We talked, we ate carbo-licious spaghetti, we played games...and then we went to bed at a perfectly respectable 10:30.

The kids however, had a different plan. Our boys were still awake playing with Calan when I went to bed. Sierra woke up at 4 am and wanted some food. That's when Cynthia woke up and she didn't catch any more winks until after the race. Then Carter, who I have named "Pipes" after our last long-distance drive, lived up to his name by puking at 5 am...and many times thereafter. This caused us to leave the house late and get to the race 6 minutes late. Going the wrong way didn't help either.

Needless to say, Cynthia was extremely nervous.


But she did it. She really, really did it! Four months of preparing, and she stuck through it all.


As soon as we got to the finish line to cheer her on, everything seemed to go right. She felt great, Pipes wasn't sick, and I...didn't get any more speeding tickets... It was a great day. But the real reason this was no ordinary half marathon and I'm incredibly proud of her is because....
















She did it while pregnant!

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! On everything!! You are amazing for doing a half! One day I will do one myself. One day. Congrats on the baby! So excited for you all. Hope Cynthia has been feeling well. When's the big day? We need more details!!

    Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I can't believe it! Congratulations! Wow, very impressive you were able to do this marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! She really is amazing! A half marathon is very impressive, but so much more impressive while pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! That is so awesome for you guys. We are so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratualtions! When's the due date? My guess is it's a boy -- might as well stick with what you're used to, I say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. congradulations on both. That is so exciting. WE should do one together someday. I am already planning my second half after this baby is born.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh...what amazing news! So proud of our girl! I do wish you were having that baby here in Wisconsin but I'll have to settle for updates via your blog. I'm going to guess girl this time because of of Cynthia's loveliness HAS to get passed down to a female at some point AND the boys (including Peter) in your house will fall head over hills for her! ♥ Love and miss you all!
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! A half marathon that is awesome I wouldn't even dream of doing it pregnant, way to go Cynthia!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I already said it on facebook, but had to add it here too. You ROCK girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats! I totally would have used pregnancy as an excuse not to run. Hope your pregnancy is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just getting caught up on your life. Awesome life congrats on the new baby. Super happy for you guys let us know next time your in town. Love to see you, but not at Walmart.

    ReplyDelete