Thursday, April 16, 2009

Quadracci

I'm a fan of Santiago Calatrava's architectural work. Stark, instantly recognizable, smooth, and he definitely stretches the limits...uhh...sometimes he stretches them too far. A few of his works are structurally unsound. Anyway... His greatest flaw, art over function, is also his greatest strength. And though I may be slightly biased, I think his best work is the Quadracci Pavilion at the Milwaukee Art Museum.

It looks better when the brise soleil is up...but you get what you get.
I've been around Milwaukee for 4 years now...why did it take me that long to go inside for the first time? I could have taken pictures of the angles and lighting all day long when we went yesterday. One of those cases when the box that holds the pearl is more attractive than the pearl itself. Good thing the curator hasn't placed much art in this area of the museum.



Next up in the staycation-a-thon...the art museum review!

No comments:

Post a Comment